I’d been wanting to have this pesto ever since seeing Nigel Slater make it on his BBC show. I’ll just say: it didn’t disappoint. The original is made by hand in the most gorgeous pestle and mortar (you can watch it here), but I used an immersion blender, which worked fine too. The quantities are rough – this one needs to be done on taste. I got three generous portions out of mine.
a bunch of watercress
two large handfuls of rocket
a handful of basil leaves
three cloves of garlic
a small handful of pine nuts
sea salt
a handful of freshly grated parmesan
olive oil
Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan. They burn easily, so occasionally shake the pan and don’t abandon them. Pick the watercress, disposing of all but the most tender stalks. Crush the garlic under a knife or in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of sea salt (you don’t need much). Combine all ingredients except for the olive oil, blend, and slowly add some oil until it has the consistency you want. Serve with spaghetti or linguine and some extra parmesan and pine nuts.