
Tabbouleh
Proper tabbouleh is more a salad than a starchy dish. I did not use any onion, but added some tender celery stalks – decidedly inauthentic, but it made for a nice crunch. The recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi I found in the Guardian did not mention soaking the grains, which was new to me. I actually wasn’t sure whether the omission was deliberate or an oversight, but I made my salad the night before, and the bulgur was just right without soaking. No guarantees that it will work for immediate serving as well, though. Serves 1, or 2 as a side.
a very big bunch of fresh parsley
a bunch of fresh mint
a small handful of bulgur
a large juicy tomato
either half an onion or some tender celery stalks, finely chopped
a squeeze of lemon juice
pinch of sumac (or allspice)
half a finely diced fresh chilli (optional)
Run the bulgur under a cold tap, till the water runs clear. Chop the parsley, including the stalks, very finely, and add to the bulgur. Repeat for the mint, leaves only. Add the tomato, cut in small pieces, and the onion or celery and chilli. Stir until well-combined, and season with olive oil, lemon juice, sumac, sea salt and pepper.