Thursday, July 21, 2011

This is not a cuppa

Summer has been shy these past few weeks. Hiding its sun behind grey clouds, modest on the temperature front. Even the rain is never more than a drizzle. The steady supply of fresh British berries and cucumbers has been pretty much the only sign that it actually is July. Not exactly cool hot ginger ice lolly weather. Or whole lemon lemonade weather. Or Pimm’s weather. Or weather to barbecue a sea bream, Moro style. All of which will have to become the subject of a post here at some point. But not this week.
Fortunately, no summer is too grey for cold-brewed iced coffee (and tea). I had never heard of cold-brewed coffee until a few weeks ago, but it’s fair to say I was sold on it from the first drink. In fact, I’ve had a bottle in my fridge pretty much constantly ever since (and so has my housemate, since I’d shared some with her). Here’s why cold-brewed coffee is different:
1) It tastes different. Much smoother, much less bitter. Even without any sugar, cold-brewed coffee tastes slightly sweet. Plus, you are able to get lots of flavours that are overwhelmed by the bitterness of coffee brewed hot.
2) It’s much less acidic, so very easy on the stomach. I would never even think of drinking normal coffee on an empty stomach, but with cold-brewed coffee, it’s no problem at all.
3) It has much less caffeine. Or much more. The jury is still out on that. (On the basis of my own subjective, non-blind, non-randomised experiments, though, I confidently assert it probably has rather less.)
4) It lasts forever. Really it does. After five days in the fridge, cold-brewed coffee still tastes as fresh as when it was just strained. This is great, because 4a) you never have to throw any away (I can’t stand throwing food away), and 4b) your morning coffee is always already there. And 4c) this method makes a concentrate, so you get a lot at once, so far less cafetière-cleaning to do.
I’m especially glad to have discovered cold-brewed coffee, partly because it makes much more of a difference to my day. But when it’s hot outside, cold-brewed tea is really good as well. Especially with lots of crushed ice. And a parasol. But the best advantage: I’ve never heard anyone call iced coffee or tea a “cuppa”. Much better…
Cold-brewed iced coffee
As the water is very hard around here, I try to use filtered water for these drinks, to avoid the nasty film that sticks to the sides of your cup (the technical term for which, apparently, is “coffee scum”). This method produces a coffee concentrate, which is mixed just before drinking with two to four parts water (or milk, or both). Special equipment: a cafetière.
coffee (coarse grind)
water
for serving: more water
optional for serving: milk and/or ice (cubes or crushed)
Fill the cafetière to about a fifth with coffee. Pour on water till half full, stir until the grounds are soaked, then top up with more water. Leave covered in the fridge for 12–24 hours, plunge, then strain through a paper filter (tastier and healthier). Lasts in the fridge for many days.
Cold-brewed iced tea
Any kind of tea is good, really, and none of them need sweetening, although of course you can do so if you fancy. I often have rooibos, which has a nice sweet undertone when made this way, or sencha green tea, which can be quite intense hot, but is a lot milder when brewed cold.
tea (I typically use bags, two per 750ml)
water
Even easier than coffee: put the tea in a teapot / glass bottle / container of choice. Pour over cold water. Leave to brew, then drink over ice (if you use crushed ice, make sure the tea is strong enough). In my experience, tea doesn’t need as long as coffee to brew; two hours is plenty (but overnight works fine too). If you want a very clear tea, resist the temptation to shake the bottle while brewing – unless your tea bags or loose tea are very good quality with absolutely no dust.

- Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment